Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2022 7:10:13 PM EDT
I see BCA is offering affordable and complete 17hmr and 22 wmr uppers with magazine . Has anyone given them a try and what are your opinions?

I'd like one in a 10.5" barrel length but they don't offer one... yet. They have been discussed but no plan of production as of yet. Maybe if enough people contacted them showing interest in a pistol/sbr length.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The 22 WMR is good once the bugs are worked out.  The 17 is a straight blowback, which has never worked in the past, so I've not tried it.  I'm not fond of case ruptures, personally.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing that means the 22wmr isn't a straight blowback design or that it's not a problem due to being a straight wall case as opposed to a bottleneck?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I'm guessing that means the 22wmr isn't a straight blowback design or that it's not a problem due to being a straight wall case as opposed to a bottleneck?
View Quote

The .17 HMR has a different pressure curve than .22 WMR, and caused a lot of issues on the 1st round of blowback guns that were straight conversions of existing .22 WMR blowbacks.

Alexander Arms was I think the 1st to offer an AR upper in .17 HMR, and it's a straight blowback, but does have ammo restrictions:

https://www.alexanderarms.com/product/17-hmr-complete-upper-assembly/
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Friends don't let friends buy BCA
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
22 WMR has a lower case to bore ratio, so straight blowback isn't as sketchy.  On my BCA 22 WMR upper, I did get ballooned case heads and some swell at the back on the case walls with the buffer that came with it.  I have since modified the buffer system to use a standard buffer and have not measured or checked for swelling since.  It's not enough swell to be worrying to me.  I have a blowback 17hm2 upper that is a case rupturing machine under the right circumstances (generally hot rifle in hot ambient temps).
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no way I would want a straight blow back 17HMR rifle. No one ever got them to work in the past without case ruptures. Now the Savage A17 in 17HMR works well, BUT it is a delayed blow back setup.

Same can be said for blow back 17m2 rifles. No one was ever successful in making them run reliably without case ruptures either. And if you read up on the 17m2 Lothar Walther barrels on this forum and on rimfire central, you will see a lot of people had issues with case bulging and case ruptures with them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  There is no way I would want a straight blow back 17HMR rifle. No one ever got them to work in the past without case ruptures. Now the Savage A17 in 17HMR works well, BUT it is a delayed blow back setup.

Same can be said for blow back 17m2 rifles. No one was ever successful in making them run reliably without case ruptures either. And if you read up on the 17m2 Lothar Walther barrels on this forum and on rimfire central, you will see a lot of people had issues with case building and case ruptures with them.
View Quote

Alexander Arms has been selling their straight blowback upper for years now.

Volquartsen has been making a .17 HMR for awhile as well, I assume it's a straight blowback based on a stretched Ruger 10/22 Magnum action, same as their .22 WMR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Alexander Arms has been selling their straight blowback upper for years now.

Volquartsen has been making a .17 HMR for awhile as well, I assume it's a straight blowback based on a stretched Ruger 10/22 Magnum action, same as their .22 WMR.
View Quote

And there is still issues with case ruptures with those too. It is just the nature of the beast since the 17m2 and 17HMR have different pressure curves than 22lr and 22WMR.

Years ago a lot of different companies tried to get 17m2 and 17HMR to run in semi auto rifles by playing with teh spring weights and bolt weights. Some companies were more successful than others. Alexander Arms, Volquartsen, and now Bear Creek are the only ones trying to make straight blow back 17 caliber rimfire work. All other manufactures gave up a long time ago due to all of the issues. Again Savage went with a delayed blow back setup on their A17 for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And there is still issues with case ruptures with those too. It is just the nature of the beast since the 17m2 and 17HMR have different pressure curves than 22lr and 22WMR.

Years ago a lot of different companies tried to get 17m2 and 17HMR to run in semi auto rifles by playing with teh spring weights and bolt weights. Some companies were more successful than others. Alexander Arms, Volquartsen, and now Bear Creek are the only ones trying to make straight blow back 17 caliber rimfire work. All other manufactures gave up a long time ago due to all of the issues. Again Savage went with a delayed blow back setup on their A17 for a reason.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Alexander Arms has been selling their straight blowback upper for years now.

Do you have reports of case ruptures w/ Alexander Arms & Volquartsen guns?

I'm well aware of the Savage A17/A22, and why they did it, as well as the issues Remington had w/ their simple bbl swap on the 522 Magnum.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you have reports of case ruptures w/ Alexander Arms & Volquartsen guns?

I'm well aware of the Savage A17/A22, and why they did it, as well as the issues Remington had w/ their simple bbl swap on the 522 Magnum.
View Quote
Plenty of reports on the Volquartsen having issues on rimfire central. And this was with both the 17m2 and 17HMR. It is a well known fact that neither the 17m2 or 17HMR play well in a straight blow back setup.

If it was easy to get them to run then Marlin, Remington, and Ruger would not have discontinued their rifles in either caliber, plus we would see other manufacturers making them too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Plenty of reports on the Volquartsen having issues on rimfire central. And this was with both the 17m2 and 17HMR. It is a well known fact that neither the 17m2 or 17HMR play well in a straight blow back setup.

If it was easy to get them to run then Marlin, Remington, and Ruger would not have discontinued their rifles in either caliber, plus we would see other manufacturers making them too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Do you have reports of case ruptures w/ Alexander Arms & Volquartsen guns?

Mind, Ruger discontinued their 10/22 Magnum in .22 WMR, did they even come out w/ a .17 HMR?

It is interesting that Volquartsen still sells their .17 HMR semi-auto, but their .17 HM2 guns are a straight-pull bolt action.  Alexander Arms specifically denies warranty service if using the CCI A17 ammo, which was intended to run in the Savage A17.

With an AR, there are are lot of different weight buffers, buffer springs, & hammer springs to play w/, you can throw a lot more mass into play than you can in a typical rimfire action.  Be nice if CMMG came out w/ one of their delayed-blowback uppers for the .17 HMR or the .17 WSM.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
And if you do a search (with your favorite search engine) you will see that even the Alexander Arms 17HMR uppers have had issues with spit and/or ruptured cases.

I am not knocking Alexander Arms or Volquartsen for a lack of quality control or for a bad design. It is a simple and well known fact that the 17 caliber rimfire cartridges have a different pressure spike and will cause either split or ruptured cases in a straight blow back design.  You can argue differently all you want, but facts are facts.

And yes there were some conversions made for the Ruger 10/22 magnum to change it to 17 HMR. Volquartsen was one company that did offer a kit. I'm not 100% sure if Ruger offered it as a factory option, I could be wrong on that. But again, it still led to spilt/ruptured cases.

@Renaissancemann can verify what I am saying. We have had many discussions on this subject on ARFCOM and rimfire central.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of the BCA .22 WMR uppers that I got a few months ago.  Other than one failure to extract it's been working just fine for almost thousand rounds now.  I typically shoot CCI MaxiMags and Federal out of it.

My BCA 22 Mag thread from a few months ago
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And if you do a search (with your favorite search engine) you will see that even the Alexander Arms 17HMR uppers have had issues with spit and/or ruptured cases.

I am not knocking Alexander Arms or Volquartsen for a lack of quality control or for a bad design. It is a simple and well known fact that the 17 caliber rimfire cartridges have a different pressure spike and will cause either split or ruptured cases in a straight blow back design.  You can argue differently all you want, but facts are facts.

And yes there were some conversions made for the Ruger 10/22 magnum to change it to 17 HMR. Volquartsen was one company that did offer a kit. I'm not 100% sure if Ruger offered it as a factory option, I could be wrong on that. But again, it still led to spilt/ruptured cases.

@Renaissancemann can verify what I am saying. We have had many discussions on this subject on ARFCOM and rimfire central.
View Quote

Yes, I can verify -- I led the charge playing around with the 17HM2 in the CMMG based AR uppers.  It works great when the weather is cold, but is a rupturing machine when it's hot.  So much so that I just don't use it from about May-September.  I may port it to see if I can get the rupturing under control at some point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounding more and more like a pistol/sbr length suppressed upper isn't a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sounding more and more like a pistol/sbr length suppressed upper isn't a good idea.
View Quote

I question suppressing the supersonic rimfires when .22 SSS 60 grn is available.  Break 1100 fps and you don't get rid of the supersonic crack.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I question suppressing the supersonic rimfires when .22 SSS 60 grn is available.  Break 1100 fps and you don't get rid of the supersonic crack.
View Quote

For my ears, not the critters.  And because I'm shooting  between 50 and 125 yrds.
I already have a 16" ruger american rimfire  22wmr and a 16" nef 17 hmr that I run suppressed. Was just hoping for an affordable repeater.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For my ears, not the critters.  And because I'm shooting  between 50 and 125 yrds.
I already have a 16" ruger american rimfire  22wmr and a 16" nef 17 hmr that I run supposed. Was just hoping for an affordable repeater.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I question suppressing the supersonic rimfires when .22 SSS 60 grn is available.  Break 1100 fps and you don't get rid of the supersonic crack.

I already have a 16" ruger american rimfire  22wmr and a 16" nef 17 hmr that I run supposed. Was just hoping for an affordable repeater.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/laser-rangefinder-eliminator-laserscope/eliminator-5-laserscope-5-20x50mm

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I had an eliminator 3. Hated it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  I had an eliminator 3. Hated it.
View Quote

Even though I just posted their 5, I have a feeling we're basically still on Gen 1 of integrated laser/ballistic calculator/optics.  But it's interesting to follow the features from each version, they're back to a remote now, like the 2, but now it's Bluetooth.  They keep going to higher & higher base magnification and extreme long range, but I think if they'd go for lots of adjustment they could rope in the subsonic crowd.  They've just come out w/ a crossbow optic as well, so there's hope for smoke generators and and 800m .300 Blackout shooters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I see BCA is offering affordable and complete 17hmr and 22 wmr uppers with magazine . Has anyone given them a try and what are your opinions?
View Quote

One little piece of information that may or may not affect your decision to buy. I bought one of the .22 Magnum uppers and found it to work very well. The kit includes a proprietary buffer and spring to make the upper work on an AR carbine lower. The buffer is nothing more than an extended carbine buffer with no weights inside. I wanted to try some weights inside the buffer after seeing a video showing horrible bolt bounce when firing. I figured I would order a couple extra buffers from BCA to set up with various weights to take along on range trips. Well, imagine my surprise when I contacted BCA about purchasing the buffers and received a hard NO. I also asked to purchase a spare extractor and that request was totally ignored. I'm at a loss, since I received no explanation for anything. I know of one other person with one of these kits who also had no success in ordering spares from BCA for his Magnum.

As I said, my upper works great, but just take into consideration that if you get one of these uppers and something breaks or wears out, you may not be able to get replacement parts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, imagine my surprise when I contacted BCA about purchasing the buffers and received a hard NO. I also asked to purchase a spare extractor and that request was totally ignored. I'm at a loss, since I received no explanation for anything. I know of one other person with one of these kits who also had no success in ordering spares from BCA for his Magnum.

As I said, my upper works great, but just take into consideration that if you get one of these uppers and something breaks or wears out, you may not be able to get replacement parts.
View Quote

Well that is enough for me to stay away from Bear Creek Arsenal. I have been thinking about one of their 22WMR uppers for a while now. But I won't buy one if I can't get spare parts.

I've been down that road before with the Chiappa M4 upper and S&W 22A.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#23]
There was a 17hmr upper besides AA that was super robust. Forget the name but it was a rotating bolt it delayed blowback or whatever it was it got rid of the risk.

They went out of business but came back and I haven’t seen any new reports on them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  There was a 17hmr upper besides AA that was super robust. Forget the name but it was a rotating bolt it delayed blowback or whatever it was it got rid of the risk.

They went out of business but came back and I haven’t seen any new reports on them.
View Quote

I think Franklin in Cali has a .17 WSM upper that is a standard AR DI rotating bolt.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:I think Franklin in Cali has a .17 WSM upper that is a standard AR DI rotating bolt.
View Quote

Franklin's is discontinued. JARD makes one in .17 WSM.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Garrow made a 17hmr upper with the delayed system. Supposed to been sold to inland mfg.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top